ADC's work in Architectural Acoustics and Building Acoustics covers all aspects of the design and trouble-shooting of buildings of all types.
- Residential Accommodation, driven by the Building Regulations Approved Document E (often referred to as ADE or Part E). It is not always straight forward to interpret but it sets out guidance and criteria for sound insulation performance for all types of residential accommodation, including dwellings, apartments, hotels, student halls of residence, residential homes. ADC is an ANC approved test body for pre-completion testing under Approved Document E. See our Residential sector page.
- Schools, particularly where affected by the design requirements of Building Bulleting 93 (BB93), BREEAM, etc. Background noise, sound insulation and internal acoustics are key to all teaching and performance spaces, as well as dining and assembly halls, offices, etc. See our Schools and Colleges sector page.
- Hospitals are covered by criteria in HTM 08-01, BREEAM and other guidance. A typical hospital includes noise sources such as external noise, mechanical services, trolley movements, outside visitors and staff. Additionally, the noise receivers can be highly sensitive. Added to this are the additional problems of high reverberation due to hard cleanable surfaces, and the need for high levels of speech privacy. Intensely specialist acoustic environments such as audiology suites are also an important part of our work. See our Healthcare sector page.
- Offices, Public Buildings, Retail, etc need to meet criteria for background noise levels, privacy, and reverberation, such as those of BREEAM or other guidance depending on the purpose or situation. See our Commercial sector page.
- Theatres, Cinemas, Nightclubs, Pubs, Restaurants, etc. might be covered by planning conditions, industry standards such as Odeon, or criteria tailored to the particular context. They can involve high levels of noise, critical internal acoustic requirements and the risk of disturbance to neighbours. See our Leisure Industry sector page.
ADC can provide a full range of services for design and troubleshooting including the following:
- Site Surveys in accordance with relevant standards
- Planning Envelope Design - external noise break-in and/or internal noise break-out
- Internal Sound Transfer, ie. sound insulation and privacy between spaces
- Internal Acoustics e.g. speech intelligibility versus music warmth and ambience.
- Mechanical Services Noise
- Sound System Design
- Design Team Meetings and Site Inspections
- Pre-Completion Testing (ANC Registered test body for pre completion testing of Airborne sound insulation and impact sound transfer)
- Analysis and diagnoses of existing sound insulation problems
- Investigations and expert evidence for disputes
- Air Pressure testing.
"I've worked with lots of acoustic consultants over the years and you guys are easily the best"
Burlow Engineering, Bury
"ADC are an efficient, cost effective acoustic consultancy. They always offer solutions rather than presenting problems. I am always happy to recommend them to my clients"
RGP Architects, Manchester
"ADC's report is excellent. No more comments from me"
"The reason we won the case was in no small part down to your efforts. Your proof of evidence was outstandingly the best and your performance on the stand was impeccable"
Planning and Law,
"Thanks a million for this work, it's excellent. I think we will make your trip to Dublin an annual event as I like your approach and your practical solutions"
Unilever Foods, Dublin
"Thank you Mr Raymond. Next time I need a great noise expert for a licensing hearing, I'll certainly recommend you to my instructing solicitor"
"Thanks for the noise control seminar, it was really enjoyable and as you can tell by the questions asked, everyone learnt so much from it"
Centrica Business Solutions,
"Many thanks again for your expert assistance with our case. You came across as knowledgeable, honest and fair - unlike your opposite number!"
West Lancashire Borough Council,
"I have worked with Andrew Raymond as an expert on noise issues in connection with planning inquiry work. His work and the presentation of his evidence is always of a high quality. He responds very quickly. Above all he always takes a pragmatic and commercial approach to solutions, and this is very much appreciated by clients."
"I think we've made a breakthrough with thanks to you! You seemed to have swayed opinion Environmental Health Dept! I am so grateful for your time and effort on our behalf. This has all been a bit trying and you were like a ray of sunshine on the proceedings!"
"Philip gave the best presentation I have seen, or to be more accurate heard, in a long time. He gives you a remarkable and wholly practical demonstration of the effects of good, and bad, sound insulation in buildings.”
Poole Dick Associates,
"Professional, knowledgeable and cooperative – fellow consultants ADC Acoustics have been a pleasure to work with and are an asset to any design team, providing a comprehensive service with the expertise to solve even the most complex of acoustic related issues"
Brewster Bye Architects, Leeds
"I run a commercial planning law practice, and I act for commercial clients. These clients expect their interests to be represented in an efficient and practical manner, and when I have acoustic issues to deal with I have no hesitancy in recommending ADC acoustics. I find that I can discuss issues with that practice and that I receive accurate and practical advice in return. Perhaps most importantly I find that I am listened to and that the practice responds to my requirements."
"The acoustic insulation is so good you cannot hear anything outside at all even with the music on at full level. Thanks so much for everything to date. Pop in anytime for that extra large drink!!!"
Nightclub, North Wales
"When we get an acoustic report from you, we always know it's going to be good. And that's not some we say very often"