Noise at Work
The Control of Noise at Work Regulations came into effect in the middle of 2006 and included what was effectively a 5 dB tightening up of previous regulations, along with a new exposure limit, the exceedance of which is a criminal offense.
The HSE is also keen to emphasise certain aspects of interpretation which have perhaps been neglected with the previous regulations.
There is also the relatively new phenomenon of Acoustic Shock, mainly in headsets in call centres. Acoustic Shock is entirely different from conventional hearing damage and is widely misunderstood. It is often taken as applying only to headsets, mainly in call centres, but the causes and symptoms can result from many other circumstances.
ADC offers a full service from basic noise assessment, through noise control design, to the project management of the implementation of all noise control solutions.
ADC's services include the following:
- Occupational noise surveys. This is often the starting point for a noise management plan, driven increasingly by insurance companies as well as the HSE. It will often take the form of noise maps to visually show where the problems are likely to lie.
- Ear protection analysis. Most good quality hearing protection will be adequate in most situations if properly used. However, where noise levels are very high there may be a need for certain types or brands.
- Noise control. This is an enormously important part of ADC's expertise. Noise control at source is a particular area of specialism and is usually considerably cheaper to implement than conventional approaches, such as enclosures, screens and barriers, and silencers. Conventional noise control, however, does have an important place in the noise control design armoury and, as long as it is properly designed it works extremely well.
- Project management - managing the problem from initial survey through to the implementation and testing at completion.
- Noise Induced Hearing Loss (Industrial Deafness). An Ear Nose and Throat consultant will usually identify if the type of hearing damage is likely to have been noise-induced and, together with the acoustic report, a case can be built or contested. See our page on Expert Witnessing.
- Acoustic Shock investigations, assessments analysis and reports. Acoustic shock is relatively new and little understood phenomenon caused by sudden very loud noises such as in call centre headsets. It can lead to hearing damage and/or tinnitus (ringing in the ears) as well as a wide range of physiological or psychological effects. Its causes and effects are quite different from Acoustic Trauma and conventional hearing loss and it needs to be assessed in an entirely different way. See our pages on Acoustic Shock.
"I've worked with lots of acoustic consultants over the years and you guys are easily the best"
Burlow Engineering, Bury
"ADC are an efficient, cost effective acoustic consultancy. They always offer solutions rather than presenting problems. I am always happy to recommend them to my clients"
RGP Architects, Manchester
"ADC's report is excellent. No more comments from me"
"The reason we won the case was in no small part down to your efforts. Your proof of evidence was outstandingly the best and your performance on the stand was impeccable"
Planning and Law,
"Thanks a million for this work, it's excellent. I think we will make your trip to Dublin an annual event as I like your approach and your practical solutions"
Unilever Foods, Dublin
"Thank you Mr Raymond. Next time I need a great noise expert for a licensing hearing, I'll certainly recommend you to my instructing solicitor"
"Thanks for the noise control seminar, it was really enjoyable and as you can tell by the questions asked, everyone learnt so much from it"
Centrica Business Solutions,
"Many thanks again for your expert assistance with our case. You came across as knowledgeable, honest and fair - unlike your opposite number!"
West Lancashire Borough Council,
"I have worked with Andrew Raymond as an expert on noise issues in connection with planning inquiry work. His work and the presentation of his evidence is always of a high quality. He responds very quickly. Above all he always takes a pragmatic and commercial approach to solutions, and this is very much appreciated by clients."
"I think we've made a breakthrough with thanks to you! You seemed to have swayed opinion Environmental Health Dept! I am so grateful for your time and effort on our behalf. This has all been a bit trying and you were like a ray of sunshine on the proceedings!"
"Philip gave the best presentation I have seen, or to be more accurate heard, in a long time. He gives you a remarkable and wholly practical demonstration of the effects of good, and bad, sound insulation in buildings.”
Poole Dick Associates,
"Professional, knowledgeable and cooperative – fellow consultants ADC Acoustics have been a pleasure to work with and are an asset to any design team, providing a comprehensive service with the expertise to solve even the most complex of acoustic related issues"
Brewster Bye Architects, Leeds
"I run a commercial planning law practice, and I act for commercial clients. These clients expect their interests to be represented in an efficient and practical manner, and when I have acoustic issues to deal with I have no hesitancy in recommending ADC acoustics. I find that I can discuss issues with that practice and that I receive accurate and practical advice in return. Perhaps most importantly I find that I am listened to and that the practice responds to my requirements."
"The acoustic insulation is so good you cannot hear anything outside at all even with the music on at full level. Thanks so much for everything to date. Pop in anytime for that extra large drink!!!"
Nightclub, North Wales
"When we get an acoustic report from you, we always know it's going to be good. And that's not something we say very often"
Senior Environmental Health Officer,
"Just a quick hello and a big thank you for your patience and concerted efforts in seeing this project through to its conclusion.
You have been wonderful through this journey, have made yourselves available when we haver needed your expertise, and are very appreciative for your effort … thanks very much!"
Having commissioned ADC Acoustics to carry out a building assessment for our enrichment service, which provides services for young adults with disability, I can confidently say that Phil understood the needs of our service and how we require the acoustics to perform. He gave a very clear and simple understanding of how acoustic properties work in buildings, and the measures required to achieve the desired noise levels. Very professional and friendly service, highly recommended.